Search This Blog

Monday, October 5, 2009

Home in Blanc: A Personal Note



The piece, “Monte Blanc” really connected with me. I’ve loved all the works that we have read, but the imagery reminded me so much of my hometown. I’m originally from Hawaii and although its very different from France, the mountainous scenery means so much to me.
As the “…lending splendour, where from the secret springs/ The source of human thought its tribute brings/ of waters, - with a sound but half its own” (line 4-6). Just as the secret springs of Mount Blanc speak eternally the Pauoa Valley and Nu’uanu are deep with cervices and pockets of jungle. It is within the beaming light of the sun that shows the green depth of each drape in the landscape. Even more powerful is the eternal darkness of each night that shadows engulf the mountain and the only way to see it are the small lights from the houses covering the mountain side.
The biggest connection between “Monte Blanc” and my hometown is how I understand Shelley’s acknowledgement of the eternal existence of the landmass. This too I draw great comfort in. Even though I can only go back to Hawaii during the summer because of how far and expensive it is, like “the still and solemn power of many sights” this sight is never changing for my home.

4 comments:

  1. I loved your post Cait! I definitely felt some of your same sentiments while reading "Monte Blanc" as well. I think that we all can deeply connect with this poem in a way because we all have a place or places that are this magical other worlds for us. These places are so beautiful and breathtaking that looking at them or being there is so overwhelmingly powerful. I feel like that is what the author is truly trying to describe and you do as well in your post. These places end up staying with us always and we compare every other place to them. While I love my home with all my heart, this place isn't exactly that place for me; I am very jealous of you! I also really loved the ending to this post; certainly feelings I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It was nothing profound, but I completely agree with you. "Monte Blanc" is a very powerful poem and I feel like so many of us can relate to it. Especially if we aren't near our home and only go back for breaks. It just shows us even more that somethings never change - I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cait,

    This is a great post. I can fully relate, as I am from Colorado. I live in Denver, which is a typical metropolis, but I-70 is less than ten minutes from my house. Beginning twenty miles outside Denver, this highway runs through three hundred miles of mountain ranges to Grand Junction on the other side. I've grown up hiking and skiing these mountains my whole life. Their breathtaking beauty never fails to remind me of the miracle of creation and the power of God. However, I've a few times learned the hard-way just how insignificant man is in the face of nature. The forces of nature are immensely creative, but just as destructive. Anyway, I'm going to write more about "Mont Blanc" as a full length post, but I just wanted to say awesome blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That what I really love and respect with this work. Monte Blanc is one geographical spot, but its essence can been seen in so many places and can transcend meaning to so many different people. Its because this poem can be largely related that makes it so powerful.

    ReplyDelete