Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wait .. where's Nature?

Let's suffice it to say that I missed the Nature Walk Tour the class went on. Because of this, I decided to take my own walk in Audubon Park on Friday, after the torrential rain stopped. I headed to the park around 4 PM, with my Norton Book, umbrella and notebook in hand. I dodged street cars, normal cars, people on bikes, women with strollers, men with dogs and little screaming kids being chased by other little screaming kids. I guess everyone needed a little outside "nature" time after the rainstorms. Every bench, at the front of the park, was over taken by preppy moms, chatting to one another while watching their loud children swing, fall and eat dirt. I hopped around puddles and wet benches, before finally finding one dry enough to sit down on and read.

In Book Fourth, Wordsworth talks about his circuit of the Lake. It was as if Nature, herself, rejuvenated him and gave him, " .. consummate happiness" (ln 140) I continued reading this passage, constantly being interrupted by panting runners, barking dogs and chattering families. Maybe I was in the wrong place? Taking clues from Wordsworth, I grabbed my things and began my own leisure circuit around the green swampy water that I imagined was a lake.

There were gorgeous flowers arranged in rows, trees that lines the beaten path and mosses that draped perfectly over large branches. Birds flew overhead and ducks splashed in the water. The aforementioned rain had left an earthy smell that seemed to match the serene landscape before me. For a moment, I felt like a true Romantic, understanding Wordsworth's lines in Book Twelve:


And on the melancholy Beacon, fell

A spirit of pleasure, and Youth's golden gleam; (ln 265 - 66)


Finally, I felt at peace and actually inspired. I had made it to the wooden pavilion and settled in to write some notes and read "The Tables Turned". All the sounds seemed to meld together and create a beautiful soundtrack, that could have been sold for some major cash as a sleep time record. Thoughts of book reports and balancing equations were far behind.

Enough of Science and of Art

Close up those barren leaves'

Come forth, and bring with you a heart

That watches and receives. (ln 29-32)


I was relaxed and felt the breeze and listened to the wisdom in the songs of the birds. At least until the sounds of the real world came crashing back in. Two dogs decided it was obviously mating season and chose to expand the Circle of Life. The cars honked and bikers yelled to one another. A huge beetle scurried across the wooden floor near me and the rain started to fall. Maybe Nature was a little too much for a city girl like me, so I (quickly!) gathered my things and headed for the safety of my air conditioned, rainless and kid-less dorm room.

No comments:

Post a Comment