Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

I am a worm.

I think that was the most influencial aspect of the course was that I able to relate myself to the characters throughout the semester. From the mariner's "mistake" to Isabelle's undying passion - there was something in each piece that I could understand or at least sympathize with. So what is a romantic? Well, I think we've pretty much figured out that there is no right answer - only good ones. It is reflection, it is passion, it is internalizing, it is externalizing...the romantics felt so many different things and exuded them through their works. What is interesting is that imaginative channeling into literature.
Like we were talking in classes before and a bit on our last class, is how the romantic period and romantic texts never end. They live on. Not like other genre's where the story will just be retold over again, but they actually live on. There is no resolution (besides the hybrid - "Wuthering Hieghts"). There is not clousure or feeling of satisfaction at the end of P. Shelly's piece or Blake's "The Book of Thell". Everything has the opportunity to be continued, which is the most powerful kind of literature. It forces the readers to wonder, but what is going to happen next??
So am I a romantic? You bet your ass I am. I reflect, I certainly have dwelled, and internalized. But like the romantics I have hope. My story will go on, I will grow, and I will rise from the destruction of my life. I am a worm. Yes, thats right. I am a worm. I proud of it.

"Only unfullfilled love can be romantic." -Vicky Christina Barcelona

So if only unfullfilled love can be romantic, then I guess we will never be totally complete. The story will never end.



P.S>>> I PROMISE I DID THIS BEFORE 12!!! BLOGGER KEPT SAYING: ERROR HTM>//

No comments:

Post a Comment