Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Romanticism in my major

I have to say, that being a Visual Arts major, although easy at times, is extremely challenging and I often feel overworked.  However, now that I'm into my 2nd year of being a visual arts major, I am finding more and more ways that it applies to different areas of education.  With this being Romanticism in Literature class, I must emphasize how much I was able to connect it with art.  I'm writing my paper on just this so i wont go into too much detail, but hopefully yall will get a sneak peek at my point... i noticed art in the poems and books we read had so much description that i was able to paint a picture in my mind.  I find it difficult at times to put that much visualization into words on paper.  I really felt most of the time that I was with the author of the literature we were reading. It fascinated me, and I'm positive will keep doing so as I continue with my major and being exposed to more Romantic literature.

4 comments:

  1. I think that this post is not only true but so great! I have noticed too how much romanticism has popped up into my day to day life and what a wonderful addition it has made. The rich detail of landscapes and characters has allowed me to have wonderfully elaborate pictures in my head. This is why I liked our presentation so much! What a great paper topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish you nothing but success with that. I find as an English major I too paint pictures in my head of what I am reading, or at least envision a vivid scene. This is necessary in reading and if you are not doing it much or at all, your reading comprehension is lacking. I'm glad you've found such a cool way to connect this class to your major. Maybe you should trying creating some artwork inspired by some of the readings for this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way a lot of times. I'm a music major and often find myself relating some of the readings to certain pieces or musical ideas. Of course we have a period of music labeled Romanticism, but still it's challenging to understand it even then. It's a mindset you need to understand a lot of what happens in our class and it's good to see us getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto!
    books that i'm rereading now are done in an entirely different light. Think of Frankenstein; in high school, it was all about the sciences Victor had studied and how they were obsolete. reading it now, i realize how much we missed out on then. i wish i could go back, knowing what i know now, and explain that to my teacher. talk about a super A! anyway, romanticism is obviously not as dead as i thought it was.

    ReplyDelete