Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2009

Freshman Year (a response to Wordsworth's "Surprised by Joy"

I'll preface this model poem by saying how much I love Wordsworth's "Surprised by Joy". The brief and powerful sonnet has stuck with me since I first read it in Biguenet's Reading Poetry class two years ago. As Biguenet brilliantly put it, "Wordsworth's only consolation is that remembering the death of his daughter is not quite as painful as actually experiencing it. And the next he remembers it, it will be a little less painful still. For time to make the loss of child less painful is itself tragic, but how else can you get up in the morning?" In approaching this assignment, I had to take a lot of time to think about how to model my poem on Wordsworth's. Should I directly react to what he is saying or should I write something totally different with basic romantic themes in mind. Eventually I remembered an experience I had last year when I was woken in the morning by Regina Spektor's "Fidelity" playing softly on my roomates computer. I can only describe how I felt as being "wonderfully heartbroken" because this particular song reminded of five or six different life changing experiences freshman year. At least three of them the song was directly playing when or near when they happened. So I decided to write romantically about it; that is to recollect the emotional experience of hearing this song, which itself reminded me of several very emotional experiences and to process it through poetry.
I have adopted Wordsworth's rhyme scheme, through I fell well short of writing my poem in good iambic pentameter.
Freshman Year

Awoken by the sunlight birthing the new day,
I heard in mind the grandeur of the fading song,
Of Regina's voice both trembling and strong,
Recollecting an eternity of joys once held, now flown away.
Three-forth's a year from August until May,
Three-forth's a year unlike the whole eighteen before,
Nine months where every coming moment had something beautiful in store;
Dancing with a beautiful Mexican girl and the way
Anjle's voice echoed through the silent midnight hall
That we broke into just because we were alive
And young, and holding back is no way to live at all.
And so I dressed and into that new day did dive
And since exist in every moment proud and tall
Knowing life's brevity and to pass it well do strive.

Surprised by joy

Surprised by joy - impatient as the Wind
I turned to share the transport - Oh! with whom
But Thee, deep buried in the silent tomb,
That spot which no vicissitude can find?
Love, faithful love, recalled thee to my mind-
But how could I forget thee? Through what power,
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
To my most grievous loss!-That thought's return
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore,
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart's best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore.

1 comment:

  1. As I mentioned in class, I appreciated the explanation you provided for why you chose to model the poem you did.

    Iambic pentameter aside, the poem works very well to recollect you "Freshman Year" state of mind. My two favorite lines are the last: "And since exist in every moment proud and tall/ Knowing life's brevity and to pass it well do strive." Nicely stated. And, perhaps more importantly, it emphasizes the irony inherent in Romanticism's reliance on both spontaneity and reflection.

    ReplyDelete